WE is a positive, vibrant community of people who care about each other and about making the world a better place.
Over the past 23 years, WE has grown from a volunteer-run group started by 12-year-old school kids into a thriving organization with more than 1,000 employees in North America, the UK and our country offices in Africa, Ecuador and India. In addition, the WE family of employees has expanded to include over 1,400 staff alumni who have gone on to their next career or returned to school, and who continue to stay connected to each other and to our organization through our active alumni network. Our goal as an organization is to build a rewarding employee experience where people love coming to work, are provided with the tools and support they need to be successful, and strive for excellence to drive WE’s mission of empowering people to create positive change in their communities and around the world.
All staff benefit from the training sessions led by our People Operations and Culture Team, which include giving and receiving feedback effectively, diversity and inclusion, maintaining sustainable high performance through self-care and strategic work processes, and working productively with Lean Six Sigma concepts.
Because WE is a youth empowerment organization, our organization does attract a large proportion of young people—many of them seeking their first jobs out of university or college without prior formal work experience. For those employees who sign up for entry-level roles, WE is committed to providing one to two years of training, support and mentorship that will allow them to go on to employment in their area of education. Of course, some of those staff will stay with us and progress through several years of their careers within WE Charity, ME to WE social enterprise, WE Day—or any combination of the three. Staff are encouraged to grow their skills by shifting into roles with different teams or in different departments, making for a stimulating, rich and varied career.
WE is also a large and complex organization and, as such, needs to employ experienced staff as Managers, Associate Directors and Directors, and as Senior Management at the Head level. Some of these roles are promoted from within, and we also hire external candidates who bring strong experience and connections from other industries, such as media, business development, product development, marketing and technology.
Leah Meers, Leadership Facilitator & Speaker, and former WE Day Head
John Grange, Director
Angelique De Montbrun, Director, Brand and Integrated Marketing
How does WE’s culture measure up, in the estimation of external consultants that specialize in workplace best practices? In 2018, the HR management firm Knightsbridge was engaged by WE to conduct a third-party culture pulse check for the organization. Their findings included the following observations:
“Employees of all tenures described WE as a unique culture with contagious energy stemming from employees’ unified passion to make a difference, both in their local community and world wide. The organization is highly mission-driven; employees’ personal values align to the organization’s mission, they are able to live their values at work, and they feel as though the work they do at WE is more meaningful than it would be elsewhere (especially at a for-profit organization) because of its focus on making a positive impact. Employees appreciate that WE’s organizational norms and cultural attributes are collaborative, and describe a culture of generally high appreciation of employees. They report experiencing an entrepreneurial culture that provides them with unique opportunities for personal and career growth, and they appreciate the travel perqs, participation in WE Days and other events, and above all the fulfillment they experience by making a difference. Employees derive high value from being a part of an organization where they can make a significant impact, locally and globally. It is primarily these attributes that draw people to the organization and retain them.”
WE is deeply committed to staff well-being, and staff at WE enjoy numerous benefits and rewards—starting with a suite of health care benefits provided at no cost to employees, which include prescription drug co-pay, dental coverage and basic life insurance, and a Employee Assistance Program that offers mental health, wellness and work-life balance services 24 hours a day.
In addition, WE offers some of the most unique and exciting perks for team members, including travel opportunities, special discounts and free sustainably grown ME to WE coffee at work.
• Professional Development fund, for which all staff can apply after one year of employment, offers $500 toward outside training
• Onsite in-office yoga, aerobics, wellness and meditation classes and a fully stocked gym at the WE headquarters
• Free physiotherapy sessions in a private space physiotherapy room within the gym
• Free external gym memberships at GoodLife, Energie Cardio and 24-Hour Fitness
• Get your birthday off and enjoy the office shutdown between Christmas and New Year’s (time off that does not count toward your vacation days)
• Travel opportunities to visit WE’s projects overseas: traveling on a staff trip to Kenya, India or Ecuador (with all on-the-ground costs covered by the organization), with the option to bring a family member or close friend along at greatly reduced cost
• Staff discounts on ME to WE products and experiences, including Trips and Take Action Camp
• Opportunities to interact with and learn from WE’s celebrity ambassadors
• Invitations to WE Day events, staff socials and parties, as well as special experiences when working WE Days across North America and the UK
• Bike parking in-office, and showers in-office
• Part-time barista serves free sustainably grown coffee for staff and visitors
• Days off/recovery days post-travel (and post-execution of WE Day shows)
• Healthy meal and snack options at staff retreats and other functions
• Option to work from home or remotely
We have opportunities open with both WE Charity and ME to WE. Click on the link below to explore all the current openings!