In Kenya, women carry big plastic jugs called jerry cans to transport water from local sources back to their homes. When full, each jerry can weighs about 40 pounds (20 kilograms). That’s a heavy weight for a fit adult to walk with, and definitely not safe for children to carry!
Create a kid-safe “jerry can” using materials you may already have at home to help little ones understand how much work goes into a water walk.
1. Cut T-shirt into strips about 1.5 inches (4 centimetres) wide across the width of the T-shirt body, starting at the bottom hem. Take care to keep the side seams intact so that each strip is a loop of fabric.
2. Take one of the fabric strips and place it under the bottle.
3. Pull one end of the loop through the other end, creating a “lasso” around the bottle.
4. Repeat with a second strip of fabric.
5. Take two more strips of fabric and tie them together, then tie one end to each of the “lassos” on the bottle.