Passion to Heal℠ provides dermatologists, ophthalmologists and associated practitioners with the opportunity to travel on a fully funded trip to Kenya or India to help transform health care for thousands of children and community members.
Why Passion to Heal℠ Medical Volunteer Trips?
In WE Villages communities, we’ve seen inspiring advancements in basic health care. Specialized care, however, remains out of reach for many of our rural community members. Without expertise in dermatology or ophthalmology, doctors struggle to treat and diagnose skin and eye conditions, which are widespread across many rural communities. A 1999 study found that 32.4% of children screened in rural Kenya suffered from skin disease.
Through Passion to Heal℠, an initiative of Valeant Pharmaceuticals NA LLC (VPNA), WE Villages, formerly Free the Children has developed a comprehensive program for advanced diagnosis and treatment of skin and eye conditions in rural Kenya and India through medical volunteer trips. In collaboration with WE Charity’s implementation partner, ME to WE Trips, the Passion to Heal℠ initiative funds the cost of the medical volunteer trips. This provides American dermatologists, ophthalmologists, optometrists and associated practitioners the opportunity to travel free of charge to help treat and educate community members, while training local clinicians to create sustainable solutions.
Join Us on a Medical Volunteer Trip
Change the lives of others and your own by traveling to Kenya or India this year. Trip dates are as follows:
India: April 14 – April 23, 2018
Kenya: April 28 – May 7, 2018
India: June 2 – June 11, 2018
Kenya: Aug 25 – Sep 3, 2018
Kenya: June 9 – 18, 2018
Kenya: September 15 – 24, 2018
If you have any questions about the program or are interested in learning more about a potential volunteer opportunity in 2018, please email [email protected].
Passion to Heal℠ trips are free of charge for trip participants; costs are covered by the generous support of VPNA. For more information, please refer to the sample itineraries below.
About the Trip
Participants on Passion to Heal℠ trips will have a lasting impact on the level of health care in rural communities. The trip will include the following:
- Screening students in WE Villages primary schools for potential skin and eye conditions.
- Diagnosing and prescribing treatment for students and community members.
- Preventing further illnesses by identifying potential causes of common dermatological and ophthalmological conditions present in these communities.
- Working with our local health care team to build their capacity for diagnosis and ability to provide optimal treatment for a range of skin and eye conditions.
Health: Part of a Holistic Development Model
Health care is implemented across WE Villages communities as part of its sustainable development model. Designed to meet the basic needs of developing communities and to eliminate the obstacles preventing children from accessing education, WE Villages development model is made up of five pillars: Education, Water, Food, Health and Opportunity. WE Villages programming takes place in Kenya, India, Ecuador, Nicaragua, rural China, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Haiti.
HEALTH PROGRAMMING IN KENYA
WE Villages works in Kenya’s Narok South District, home to the Maasai Mara, providing health care programming that includes community and health education programs, mobile health clinics, school-based health clubs and nutrition programs, and health clinic services.
HEALTH PROGRAMMING IN INDIA
India officially became a WE Villages country in 2008. Since then, we have implemented health programming in the Rajasthan region with a focus on health education and outreach, mobile health clinics, and the construction and repair of Anginwadis (local health resource centres).
- Must be an American citizen with a valid passport
- Only practitioners currently working in the United States are eligible to apply
- Must be a dermatologist or a dermatology mid-level practitioner
- For the skin care program, applicants must be must be certified by the American Board of Dermatology or the equivalent in another country
- Optometrists must be certified by the National Board of Examiners in Optometry or the equivalent in another country.
- Ophthalmologists must be certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology or the equivalent in another country.
- Must have valid supporting documentation: Curriculum vitae, diploma, license, certification, as well as be able to provide two professional references
- Must be able to obtain a passport and visitor visa (if applicable)
- Must not have participated in a Passion to Heal℠ trip before
A selection committee at WE Charity will review all applications and make the selections. The ideal candidate provides all valid documentation in a timely manner and has some previous experience in volunteering and medical volunteer trips.
A total of 60 skin care professionals and 10 eye care professionals will be eligible to join the Passion to Heal programs in Kenya and India throughout 2018.
No. Passion to Heal℠ trips are exclusively open to dermatologists, ophthalmologists, optometrists and associated medical practitioners.
For participants interested in extending their time in country, ME to WE would be pleased to arrange leisure travel services for successful applicants and their families prior to or following the scheduled programs.
Applicants will be notified by email or phone if they have been selected for a Passion to Heal℠ trip.
Program participants must agree to:
- Share photocopies of required documents for their application
- Be responsible for obtaining a valid passport and visitor visa (if applicable) prior to their trip
- Make arrangements to visit a travel medical clinic at least 6 weeks prior to their trip
- Take all immunizations and preventative medicine recommended by a recognized travel medical clinic in advance of their trip
- Respect and abide by all rules and directives of ME to WE staff
- Complete a Pasion to Heal℠ trip report
Program participants are encouraged to:
- Take and share photos, and participate in social media opportunities provided by WE Villages and ME to WE
- Share your experience with colleagues
- Participate in the webinars offered
The Passion to Heal℠ Medical Volunteer Trip is free for all participants.