A Landmark Gift
Celebrating over 20 years of empowering young people to make a difference locally and globally.
The establishment of the WE Global Learning Center was made with an initial landmark gift of $15 million from long-time supporters Hartley Richardson, The Richardson Foundation and David Aisenstat. Their actions were the spark that inspired a remarkable community of like-minded change-makers to come together to bring this vision to life. Their collective generosity has allowed WE to expand its service-learning programs for young people, educators, families and more, and to build an international hub for people who want to change the world. We are grateful to all those who have provided their tremendous support for this important project. A full list of additional supporters who have made this project possible can be found below.
Located in the Corktown community in Toronto, Ontario, the WE Global Learning Center will welcome local community members and schools, and be a place where change-makers can connect worldwide.
More Than a Headquarters
The WE Global Learning Center is more than just the new headquarters for the WE movement, it’s the destination for any world-changer who wants to learn about the world. It is the ultimate field-trip for schools that want to learn about global issues, and the place for businesses to hold their staff retreats to learn about socially conscious leadership.
The best part is that schools and groups don’t need to be located in Toronto to take part in WE’s cutting-edge programming—they can participate via digital classrooms, using technology that supports the delivery of leadership training and professional development, no matter where they are in the world.
The WE Global Learning Center features:
- Technology that supports our delivery of cutting-edge leadership training and professional development to rural and marginalized communities, including Indigenous and underserved youth and educators
- Digital classrooms with built-in functionality to connect WE Schools across Canada, the United States and the UK, and around the world, allowing interactive learning experiences with shared educational content
- Best-of-class content will be curated and incorporated into digital and print curricular resources, crowd-sourced from coast to coast
- Expert resources for educators to support teachers around the world and faculty in residence, embedded within the in-house curriculum team, to bring expertise in connecting service-learning with educational outcomes, particularly with Canada’s diverse communities in mind (including new Canadian youth, at-risk and Indigenous youth)
As one of the world’s largest organizations serving youth, WE works with over 15,000 schools and groups internationally through our WE Schools educational program, which each year engages 3.8 million young people.
The WE Global Learning Center will transform service-learning opportunities for millions of students coast to coast and around the world, enhancing their skills and knowledge so they can create positive change in their local and global communities. The WE Global Learning Center’s state-of-the art technology will connect schools throughout Canada, including those in rural and Indigenous communities, and link to youth around the world. The WE Global Learning Center will create and support a new generation of young leaders.
Thank You To Our Generous Donors!
WE Charity would like to thank the following Founding Visionaries, who helped establish the concept of a permanent home for the organization and have made this dream possible.
- Hartley, Heather, Aidan, Thor and Celine Richardson |
- The Richardson Foundation |
- David Aisenstat |
- The Gilgan Family |
- The Modesto and Filomena Romano Family |
- The Rumi Foundation |
- The Losani Family |
- The Government of Ontario
WE would also like to thank its Founding Corporate Champions for their tremendous support for this world-changing project.
- Royal Bank of Canada |
- TELUS |
- Microsoft |
- Siemens Canada |
- TriAxis Construction Ltd,
- SMART Technologies,
- Ryerson University,
- Office Source,
- k2 designworks Inc.,
- Downing Street,
- BIG Digital Corp,
- Applied Electronics
WE also gratefully acknowledges the following Founding Family Champions for their support in bringing this space for change-makers to life.
- Craig Burkinshaw |
- Jennifer Tory |
- The Rothney Family |
- The Longo Family
“We are so grateful for leaders like Hartley and David who believe in the ability young people have
to create and lead meaningful change through service-learning opportunities,” said WE Charity
Executive Director Scott Baker. “The WE Global Learning Center marks a major milestone
in our 20-year history of empowering young people to become active agents of change.”